This is a blog about my life. I wanted a way to include people in my life that could fit any schedule.

Friday, January 09, 2009

my Pathology prof is damn funny

So a new term has started and already I feel like I'm barely keeping my head above the water. Thankfully I have some great instructors that make the lectures interesting. One of the new ones for this term is for my pathology class. She is a doctor from india who must have lived in england for a time because she speaks in this very proper english accent that is just wonderful. Anyways, so she seems to be the kind of prof that doesn't take herself too seriously and just likes to tell it like it is. Because of this she has been the source of some rather humorous quotes already. Here are a couple of the better ones.

-when talking about chemotherapy and how it affects cancerous tissue- "the USA is like cancer treatment, they go into the world, stir things up and start war and fighting within a country, then they sit back and hope the bad guys kill themselves. Of course the good guys usually end up getting hurt too"

-when talking about free radicals and how they cause damage in the body- "free radicals are like single people, just wandering about causing trouble and wanting to pair up with someone. Until they pair up they cause a lot of mischief."

-in regards to the typical University students approach to studying- "I don't believe in bulemic learning. Before a test you go (munch,munch,chew,swallow) then you go to the test and (bleh,spew) and you don't remember anything"

-explaining the difference between two kinds of cell changes- "The poor cervix, getting battered and bruised all the time. Of course you are going to get some metaplasia. The poor thing needs to protect itself."

and the best quote ever!!

-after explaining the process of apoptosis in regards to menstruation and the uterine lining- "you know menstrual bleeding is like the bloody tears of the uterus from unrequitted love."

Maybe you had to be there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You definitely didn't have to be there.

That last one RULED!

1/10/2009 1:49 p.m.

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I shared your stories with some people at the bar last night. We all think your prof is great. I wish I had had someone teach me about free radicals as single people...

1/11/2009 10:15 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home